Truth and Lies – the Science
An Introduction to Evaluating Truth and Credibility
Do you know when you are told the truth?
We all want to be able to tell lies and truth apart. Money, health and well being and relationships depend on it.
How good are you at assessing credibility?
In job interviews?
With your clients?
[vsw id=”GVG5AwZph-s” source=”youtube” width=”425″ height=”344″ autoplay=”no”]
Not believing the truth can be as damaging as believing a lie. Most of us think we are good lie detectors, yet the figures show most people do only slightly better than chance at detecting lies (54%).
In this course we will see how the face provides a lot of information to help us distinguish truth and lies, together with the other channels:
- verbal style
- verbal content
The science of truth and lies comes together into this one-day highly interactive, effective workshop that will feature realistic scenarios for the delegates to test their skills using an adaptation of the original Paul Ekman truth/lie research studies.
What are the benefits of this course?
– In interviewing: Improve your interviewing skills – find areas that need to be further explored.
– In negotiating: Be a better negotiator, be alert to bluffs and see when something is important to the other person.
– In coaching and mentoring: Enhance your coaching skills be seeing where clients need to explore more deeply.
– In decision making: Know what information needs further thought
– In relationships: See areas of disagreement more clearly.
Who is the course for?
This training will be very useful for everyone those who interacts with people in difficult conversations:
- customer service
- high stake interviews
or you may just be interested in being more alert in normal social situations… …
This course will help you make the leap from myths and guesswork to data driven analysis with this one-day distillation of the science behind truth and lies.
Following this event you will be able to:
- separate the myths from the science in truth/lie-detection
- apply a comprehensive psychological model to evaluate truth and lies
- outline how the five communication channels can help this process
- recognise macro and micro expressions that are shown on the face
- assess your ability to discriminate between truth and lies
- learn and practice these skills in a safe environment with Paul Ekman approved trainers.
The session is interactive and you need no previous knowledge in this subject. You will also test yourself at the start and during the training using a micro-expression training tool created by Dr Ekman and by reviewing videos clips and practical truth/lie scenarios.
The course is structured as follows:
- Lies and truth defined
- Science versus myth
- Psychological models for truth and lies
- Emotions – the essentials
- The face and emotions
- Experimental study – applying your skills ‘live’
- Summary and review.
We use a wide range of methods with small group workshops and lively presentations to make this fun, interactive, effective and engaging. We will also be carrying out data driven research on truth and lies during this pilot programme.
This course has been approved through the Solicitors Regulation Authority in the UK for Continuing Professional Development for Lawyers/Solicitors and others in the legal profession
This post is also available in: SpanishPortuguese (Brazil)